Friday, October 9, 2009

The Pumpkin Patch

I took my boys to the pumpkin patch on Friday after school. We had a good time but I mistakingly told them that after we had all our fun, we could go get donuts. After we finished anything, Joshua would announce "now we can go get donuts!!" Ryan had a great time going down the big slide, pulling the wagon and looking at the bunnies. And yes, Joshua ended up getting his donut. He inhaled it so fast and then said he wanted more. I told him he just ate one and he acted like he didn't remember doing it. They were super delicious.




He looks so sweet and innocent : )
The boys looked at the big field of orange and I think their philosophy was: if it is orange, we put it in the wagon to bring home. I guess I forgot to explain that we were only going to get a few pumpkins, and that we had to be choosy about which ones we put in the wagon. While I was busy snapping photos, the wagon filled to beyond capacity with dented, bruised, and rotting pumpkins. I informed the boys that if they wanted their pumpkins to last until halloween, they needed to choose only pumpkins that were free of spots. Joshua, who just turned 3, then found a bunch of little pumpkins and proceeded to catapault them into the wagon from as far away as possible. The concept of "gentle" hasn't really caught on yet with him. We weeded out the yucky ones and put them back. Hopefully these will last after the bumps and bruises sustained from their bumpy trip to the parking lot (see below). If not, we'll come back for more pupkins...and donuts.



After our picking excursion, the wagon was full of pumpkins and Ryan was pulling it up the hill and then he let go. yea...bad idea. The wagon picked up speed and flew down the hill toward the parking lot with two little boys waving thier arms yelling close behind. I was shouting "Watch for cars!!!" while hoping the wagon wouldn't take out a Cadillac on its trip across the parking lot. Of course my kids never thought to look before running after their beloved pumpkins---and a woman driving an SUV had to quickly halt to miss the boys on a mission. When she got out of her vehicle I thanked her for stopping and she opened her van door and got her little boy out---she flashed a certain smile and I knew right then that mothers of boys understand each other.


No comments:

Labels

Followers